Wednesday, December 8, 2010

Eight Crazy Nights

 {One unbelievably GORGEOUS Menorah purchased for my client! $600 but got it ON SALE!}

Each year I decorate a favorite and very dear client's home for Hanukkah. I find this to be such an honor that she asks me especially since I am Catholic!

For the past several years she has celebrated this special holiday at a different home of hers so ALL NEW items must be purchased each year. This has allowed me to form a wonderful relationship with a local merchant in Los Angeles' Fairfax District, where many Jewish businesses are located.  I adore the owners of SOLOMON'S, a Judaica emporium stocked with kiddush cups, candlesticks, prayer shawls, menorahs, books in Hebrew and much more.   The two male owners (I believe father and son) are SO lovely and so very kind to always present me with a gift: "just for me, and not to give away".
{A beautiful sterling silver-clasped bracelet; a gift from Solomon's}


Each year they patiently walk this Catholic girl through every faux pas:  with every ounce of respect I either mispronounce or ask for the wrong items for the wrong holiday. I've finally learned that the "plate thingy" is beautifully named a "Sedar Plate" and one NEVER says Have A Happy Yom Kippur! (Although an old Jewish boyfriend STILL teases me that I sent him a card one year and wrote just that: "Happy Yom Kipper!" He graciously claims he thought it was cute but I'm sure his parents, one of whom is a Surviver, were mortified!)

Typically my client is out of the Country during the days of Hanukkah therefore she and her family celebrates it a wee bit later. Such is the case this year. Their Rabbi is attending a very special celebration at their home on the Saturday immediately following the last day of Hanukkah so we are adding all sorts of special touches to the home later this week.  I can't wait!

Solomon's  (Tell them Kathy from Vintageweave sent you!!)
505 N Fairfax
Los Angeles
323.655.0155

Hag Sameach!

1 comment:

Lisa Jay said...

Ur so funny, Kathy! This made me and my hubby laugh! Ur so entertaining!