Tuesday, December 15, 2009

One can not cook with an ugly pot!

{French Potato Masher; $75 at vintageweave.com}

During one of my magical trips to St Tropez, I participated in a bistro cooking class. I'll never forget overhearing an instructor comment to a colleague "I can not cook with an ugly pot!" as she grabbed a copper tureen. I loved this! This past March I added to my own copper pot collection, a cocette ronde a couv (round concotte with lid) with a visit to my favorite Paris haunt, a chef's paradise:
"E Dehillerin"


Tucked away in the south of France is a cozy, blue kitchen with a simple
wooden table in the center and a door leading quietly out to a back garden. The
walls are covered in hanging antique objects--egg beaters, ladles, a
messaluna,
pewter pans (all in perpetual use)--and shelves are crammed with vintage china
and colorful pottery bowls (the ones wiht the cracks and chips have the most
character). It is one of the most welcoming kitchens I have ever seen
--and some of the most welcoming food you can imagine comes out of it."


The above and below quotes are favorite excepts from
"The Country Cooking of France" ~ Anne Willan
"I can do everything by hand--with a mortar and pestle, a knife, a
whisk--it's so much more sensual
"


Call us or order online this incredible book--a delight for the tummy and the eyes! Chock full of gorgeous pictures and interesting tidbits surrounding the country cooking style of the south of France.

THE COUNTRY COOKING OF FRANCE
11.5 x 8.5 hardcover; $49
now available at "Vintageweave.com"

3 comments:

vosgesparis said...

looks like a great book ;)

Lisa Jay said...

I just called to order it! Can't wait for it to arrive. Merry Christms to me!!!!!!!!!!!!
LJ

french pottery said...

Welcome to the Buy French Pottery Store!
Shop our exclusive collection of handcrafted items. Our popular garlic grater plate comes in 4 unique designs. Our catalog features handmade items from France as well as other regions of the world.
french pottery